Monday 14 November 2011

my bindicated day

Last month I had the chance to drive to the Bindi Winery in Gisborne, about fifty kilometres Northwest of Melbourne, in the Macedon Ranges. The trip was really short, although once I got there it really felt like I was too far away from the urban pollution.




It was a grey day, but the landscape was still so captivating, and to my surprise it seems to be well populated by that jumping creature so representative of this island: the kangaroo. As soon as I entered the property, right by the vineyard, I could see a relaxed herd of kangaroos jumping around, some of them looking at me like if I was coming from a different planet.




Quite amazing to be received in such an honourable way, by no other than mother nature of Victoria. 




There are two planted hectares of chardonnay and four of pinot noir, typically yielding 3,5 to 5 tones per hectare. A really splendid vineyard to stare at.




Michael was kind enough to show me around before we started the tasting, following a visit from a group of American sommeliers. His Bindi Block Five pinot noir (planted in 1992), Quartz chardonnay (planted in 1988) and Bindi Original Vineyard pinot noir (planted in 1988) were probably my top three favourites.


No comments:

Post a Comment