Wednesday 29 February 2012

grape time

Last Saturday, February 25th, was kind of special for me: I lost my harvesting virginity in the spectacular heart of Gippsland.




This was an early morning and the mist was covering the valley, which fed some type of whimsical charm. Having left Melbourne at 5am with a temperature of 26 C, it was shocking to reach 90 minutes later my destination, where the Pajero's thermometer marked 16 C.




It took me a while, plus two cuts in my left hand, to figure out the best way to pick up grapes without killing my back. After discovering the benefits of seating on my bucket it all became a harmonious flow between vine and human.




The four year old vines looked beautiful, and they produced more grapes than I had anticipated. Luckily more experienced harvesters made the job much faster than I felt it was going to go.




Eventually I filled my first bucket, which somehow originated some sort of naturally unusual fulfilment.




I can't wait to see and drink the wine that comes out of those grapes. This 2012 vintage should have a more special flavour. So we'll see what Bill comes up with, once the whole process is completed.



No comments:

Post a Comment