Tuesday 6 March 2012

katoomba cruditees

After a few hundred kilometres on our backs, Lynn decided to take a brake;  refreshing and fuelling our engines was a must. It was a rather wet weekend in New South Wales, so after a few days of heavy rain we actually had to drive through a flooded road in Bathurst, coming back from Orange.




We ended up stopping at a quite iconic establishment in the Blue Mountains. A colonial flavour was unavoidable, and in some ways pretty enjoyable. In fact it reminded me of the Balneario (spa) de Mondariz, back in Galicia, even if at a much smaller scale. I believe our dear Collin would have loved it.




While taking a look at the menu, the sandwich section called my attention, and god knows I am not a fan of sandwiches; "bocadillos" maybe, but definitely not sandwiches. It read "all sandwiches served with dips and cruditees", which reminded me of Luke Lambert's shiraz "Crudo". From my Spanish understanding of vocabulary it did sound very funny, but I understand for English speaking natives it could easily generate a substantially different reaction...




Anyhow, the roast beef sandwich felt like the most tempting one to me, in order to maximize this accidental anglo-colonial experience. Fortunately it was an eatable combo, but perhaps nothing to be repeated under normal circumstances. Given our geographical location I tried a pinot gris from Mudgee, which was ok for such a confusing road trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment