Thursday 23 June 2011

my first lamington ever

I had no idea what a lamington was until yesterday. In fact I don't think I had heard about it anytime before. The kid who took our order at Single Origin, on Reservoir, described it as an "Australian sweet delicacy". So, after securing two flat whites, I tried to believe him and I ordered one. The chocolate and coconut elements were certainly an asset. Whatever was inside became kind of mysterious, but sometimes I feel the right amount of mystery can be positive...




Its rustic shape seduced me to balance my plate with a colourful little passion fruit & cream cheese macaron. Both of them made a good pair, perhaps recreating in a very basic way some image from "The Beauty And The Beast", which in this case ended up coronating "the beast". It was the right amount of sweetness to start my day, and all the coconut curls made it pretty exotic. The interior was simple and clean, as the picture below may indicate.




I don't know if I'll get another lamington anytime soon, but I guess it was good enough to bring a moderate sense of adventure into my predictable morning routine. The flat white was, as usual in this cafe, a formidable one. Our dear friend Collin would have loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment