Thursday 30 June 2011

holy downie trinity

I have to confess I never was able to understand where the biblical mystery about the holy trinity came from. Father, son and holy spirit: three persons in one god. The closest analogy I could think of were The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas: Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan, of course. This week, after receiving a package from William Downie, I believe the miracle has now been revealed to me.




According to the doctrine, whatever attributes and power god the father has, god the son and god the holy spirit have as well. In Downie's case, at least for his 2010 vintage, the attributes may not be the same, even if they are all pinot noir, but the power is basically there: Gippsland 14%, Yarra Valley 13'5% and Mornington Peninsula 13'5%.




All the labels are by Reg Mombassa, the pseudonym of Chris O'Doherty, an extremely talented New Zelander based here in Syd City. His Mambo farting dog is brilliant, and it's how I first found out about him (thanks to San!). His current band is called Dog Trumpet, but the one that made him popular was Mental As Anything.




Yesterday we tried the three of them, and it certainly was a revelation: omnipotent, omnipresent, and eternal, somehow. I haven't figured out which is my infinitely holiest yet, but I suspect I will see the light in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment