Wednesday 6 July 2011

pacific ocean power

Although down under we are in the middle of the winter, yesterday was a beautiful day and I decided to go swimming in the afternoon. It was windy, but I didn't really notice the implications of such circumstance until I came out of the water. There was nobody but myself in the pool, what made it even more enjoyable. Besides the refreshing immersion that fully stimulated my exhausted neurones, for me the other remarkable virtue of swimming in ocean water, or sometimes just floating, is how hungry it makes me feel. 




After a rejuvenating session in such a gorgeous rock pool, I needed to feed my stomach, but it wasn't late enough to consider dinner. So, why not having another little "merienda" on the balcony while watching the early sunset? There was a piece of bread from Bourke street, and some other leftovers from the weekend: rotolo di capra (goat) cheese, a portion of cacciatorini (small rustic salami, made out of pork, sea salt, peppercorns, red wine, garlic, and the always delicious dextrose, sodium nitrate (251) and something else known as "starter culture") 100% Australian, produced in the Northern Rivers, in addition to another cheese which was new for me...




Since last week we got William Downie's jewels, it was more than appropriate to calm those after-swimming basic instincts of mine with a generous glass of his 2010 Yarra Valley pinot noir. At this point, I'm still not sure if this one or his Mornington Peninsula pinot is my favourite...



Nothing better to finish this much needed interlude than a Kakawa chocolate from William street: this time it was the turn for one of their hazelnut boulders, all by itslef.



No comments:

Post a Comment