Tuesday 25 October 2011

back in barizo

After the first visit in August, last month it felt like a good idea to go back to the only restaurant with an "M" star by Barizo Beach. Sometimes it's hard to tell how some eateries qualify for those "stars", but I guess, like with any other "competition", it's a simply subjective reation of whoever gets paid to do the  job...




This time the ocean was more agitated, what probably made it more exciting to stare at. Again we started with a starter of mussels "en escabeche". Not as big as the other ones, but still quite tasty.




I think lobster "salpicón" would easily become a meal I could have each day of my life, if I was asked to stick to a particular dish. I really enjoyed this one, which looked a little dull, but the flavour and right mix of ingredients was outstanding. Almost like the ones I used to have as a child.




This is the place where choosing meat is kind of a wasted opportunity in life. Their fish is always tremendously fresh, and the cook never interferes with that sacred quality.




I went for wild "lubina". Generally this is a winner for me, and even more when coming together with "grelos", garlic and potatoes.




Doña Antonia had an impeccable San Martiño "a la gallega", which looked as close to perfection as it can get. Both recipes I'd say were exponentially Galician ones.




We wrapped up this costal excursion with a few cañitas filled with "crema pastelera", and four tiny pieces of colourful strawberry which were very good, but certainly not enough. Clearly they would never be able to fill up an "hórreo" with them, although this archetypical Galician construction would still be something to look at while making this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment