Saturday 6 August 2011

my jewfish baptism

I first tried jewfish (aka mulloway) at Sean's Panaroma in North Bondi last month, and I loved it. I had seen it in the fish market plenty of times, but I had no idea what to do with it. So, at this point it was time to give it a try; clearly a quite beautiful branchial creature.


The first question was how to cook it, and therefore how to cut it. I ended up going for the cutlets, which for some reason in the kitchen seem to be more manageable.


It looked like a good a occasion to explore new territories, so I chose a few unsual ingredients in our diet: Australian blood limes (a hybrid between Citrus australasica sanguinea -the red finger lime- and the Rangpur lime -Citrus x limonia-), and kaffir limes (a lime native to Indochinese and Malesian ecoregions in Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and adjacent countries).



Korean enoki mushrooms, broccoli, garlic, and continental parsley also were part of this suddenly experimental and multicultural equation. As always, this quasi sacramental exercise was going to be lubricated with nothing but a generous dose of Spanish extra virgin olive oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment