Wednesday 13 January 2016

another syd summer

Nothing better than starting the new year under the sun, in the middle of a warm summer. That's the beauty of being down under at this time of the year.



The liquid list of a good summer celebration is crucial. So, even if certain limitations contained most efforts, we tried to follow a balanced approach.



The unavoidable Albariño by Pedralonga for any reasonable summer travelled with us, all the way through our Turkish nightmare. As expected, it was a delight. I took the risk of trying something I knew nothing about. In the shop I saw five different options from the same winery, again from SA. A Grenache from the Fugazi Vineyard, which I guess was far too unusual for our throats.


As a result of a previous conversation with a local Victorian, we decided to try a co-fermented, skinsy tangy wine from Italian varietals, the Heathcote Red from the well-known Chalmers vineyard: Nero d'Avola, Chardonnay, Negroamaro and a little Riesling.


Our only visit to the Five Ways wine community was influenced by an almost inexistent budget. However, both Victorian acquisitions made the investment worth every dollar.



Firedoor was the only restaurant I was looking forward, given the connection to our all time favourite in Atxondo. There we tried this unknown Pinot Noir, with a Tintinesque label: Googmorning Tom by Patrick Sullivan in Ellinbank (VIC).



We brought a few bubbles, which had to be Cava, and worked perfectly well for our early summer domestic holiday. It took me a while, but this month of January was my basic introduction to the Ruggabellus creations in SA. Their Archaeus, predominantly Syrah, was an incentive after my first bottle of Sallio.



Due to our host's preferences and, again, our limited budget, I believe we had more rosés this trip than probably during the previous ten years. This one from Geelong had a beautiful colour, but it was not my top one.



A 2008 Colet-Navazos we also got at Five Ways during my last visit, back in 2014, was waiting for us. I think the time gone by had a positive impact. At least it was the first time I liked their Extra Brut so much.



Our last sip came from a rather poor wine list on Crown Street. Another Italian varietal: a Fiano from McLaren Vale. I must say it went well with our dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment